ANNUAL FACULTY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
This award will be presented annually to a member of the American Association of Veterinary Clinicians who has achieved national recognition through his/her efforts on behalf of veterinary medicine.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AWARD
The candidate must be a member of the AAVC for the past five years.
The candidate's contribution to the profession may have been made in any of the following areas:
1. Excellence in academic or institutional practice.
2. Excellence in teaching.
3. Excellence in research.
4. Excellence in organized veterinary medicine
- Constituent, state, and/or national association.
- Specialty groups including, but not limited to, the AVMA recognized specialty groups and species specialty groups.
Visually recognized participation in the affairs of the
American Association of Veterinary Clinicians.
1. Any member of the AAVC may make a nomination, but only one nomination should be made each year from an individual college or institution.
2. Packet of submission should include the nominee's curriculum vitae and supporting letters by the AAVC member making the nomination along with two additional supporting letters from other members of the AAVC. The letter of nomination should address the candidate's contribution to the profession in any of the following areas: Excellence in academic or institutional practice, Excellence in Teaching, Excellence in Research, and Excellence in organized veterinary medicine. The Awards Committee will make the final selection.
3. The award recipient will be selected by the Awards Committee based on the credentials submitted and the three supporting letters from members of the Association.
The recipient will be announced at the AAVC Department Heads & Hospital Directors Meeting. If possible, the award will be given to the department head or hospital director from the corresponding institution. Otherwise, the award will be sent to the institution immediately following the AAVC Department Heads and Hospital Directors meeting for presentation locally. A letter, signed by the AAVC President, will be provided to congratulate the recipient.
ANNUAL RESIDENTS’ AWARD
- An award will be presented annually to TWO individuals who have achieved a high degree of excellence in their chosen specialty.
- The award will consist of a monetary award of $1,000.00 each and an appropriate plaque.
- An appropriate faculty member will make the award presentations at the winner's home institution.
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AWARD
- The nominee must be in the last year of their residency, or have completed a residency within the past year.
- Only activities, awards and productivity of the resident during the 2 (3) years of the residency will be considered by the committee in the evaluation process.
SELECTION OF NOMINEE BY THEIR INSTITUTION
- The matching program officer from each institution will appoint two members from their faculty (AAVC Membership required).
- These faculty members will screen the residents from their academic or institutional programs and select their top candidate as the nominee.
PACKET FOR SUBMISSION
- The nomination packet must include the following:
- A curriculum vitae
- Evaluation of academic performance,
- A copy of not less than one manuscript that has been submitted for publication
- A letter of recommendation addressing, in detail, each of the four areas providing evidence of the nominee's sustained excellence throughout his/her clinical residency:
- Excellence in Clinical Service
- Excellence in Clinical Teaching
- Excellence in Client Communications
- Excellence in Research
- Additional comments
SELECTION OF THE WINNER BY THE AAVC AWARDS COMMITTEE
- The Awards Committee will make the final decision.
- The committee will take into consideration the length of the residency (2,3 or more years) with respect to the candidate's productivity.
- Evidence of excellence in clinical practice might include:
- Awards from faculty or staff for outstanding clinical service.
- Clinical performance evaluations.
- Evidence of excellence in clinical teaching might include:
- Awards from faculty or staff for outstanding clinical teaching.
- Student teaching evaluations.
- Evidence of excellence in client communications might include:
- Letters received from clients by the individual or hospital director.
- Excellence in research:
- Consideration will be given only for work conducted during the residency.
- Publications "in progress" will not be considered.
- Publications "accepted for publication" will be considered if accompanied by documentation from the publisher.